Morrison Hall, which is named after missionary Robert Morrison. was opened in 1913 as a hostel for students of the newly opened University of Hong Kong. Funding for the Hall largely came from the London Missionary Society which furnished the money to purchase the land and build the Central Block and West Wing. In 1927 an anonymous donation was made which funded the construction of the East Wing. It was later revealed that the anonymous donor was Thomas William Pearce, who was the first warden of the Hall. Stanley Boxer followed Pearce as Hall Warden and oversaw the addition of both a chapel and library.
During World War II the University closed and Morrison Hall was briefly used as a barracks by the British military. The building was looted and everything movable was removed. At the end of the war it was apparent that the Hall would need to be completely restored.
The University reopened in 1946, and Morrison Hall was able to reopen in 1948 thanks to the combined efforts of the London Missionary Society, the University, the Board of Control, and members of the community.
After the War Reverend Frank Short took over as Warden, followed by Reverend S. Withers Green in 1949, and Reverend Dennis Rodgers in 1958. Over the years it became too costly to run the Hall, and Rev. Rodgers negotiated with the University for the University to take control of the Hall. An agreement was reached in 1966 and in 1968 Morrison Hall was sold to the Hong Kong Council on the Church of Christ in China and all tenants moved into the Old Halls buildings on campus. Morrison Hall was later ressurected by Old Morrisonians in the 1990sand the current Morrison Hall was completed in 1999.